You could say that Nick “Afrojack” Van de Wall is a car guy. He cruises around in a Rolls Royce Ghost and keeps a Ferrari 458 and an Audi RS6 in the garage. He can afford it, too–he earned $22 million last year, No. 6 among DJs. But ask him, and he’ll tell you he still hasn’t made it.
Afrojack is, however, unquestionably a part of this year’s 30 Under 30 Class of 2015 in the music category. As such, he joined Hozier, Azealia Banks, Ed Sheeran and others in answering a lightning round of questions about his past, present and future. Read the interview after the jump.
Name: Nick van de Wall
Date of birth: September 9th, 1987
Education: Dropped out of Rotterdam Art Academy
Website URL: www.afrojack.com
1. Describe what you do in two sentences.
I run a record label, studio, produce and compose music, and DJ every now and then.
2. What’s your average bedtime?
3. Did you grow up poor, working class, middle class or wealthy?
We had everything except money, raised by a single mom.
4. Who’s your dream mentor?
Max Martin, Frank Sinatra, Richard Branson.
5. What age did you decide what you wanted to be when you grew up?
6. What gadget can you not live without?
Laptop with production software
7. In one word, to what do you most attribute your success?
8. What career accomplishment are you most proud of this year?
Selling out my first solo Arena show in Amsterdam (12,000 tickets) in a weekend where all my other DJ friends were also doing shows.
9. What are you most looking forward to in 2015?
Making and releasing more music, and bringing some new talents I’ve been working with for some years out on the scene!
10. Do you have any kids?
Single dad of one beautiful girl.
DOWNLOAD ON DMS